What is a community foundation?
A community foundation is an independent public structure comprising a collection of endowed funds established by individuals, families, companies, government agencies, local councils and other charitable trusts - a community of donors - to make a lasting difference to the life of the people in their community. The foundation acts as trustee for such donations, consisting of a Board of Directors made up of community leaders representing a cross section of society. Funds donated are pooled and carefully invested under the supervision of this Board. The income generated each year from this permanent and growing investment is distributed in the form of grants to areas of need within the community. By providing leadership on issues of broad community concern and developing a body of local knowledge, a community foundation helps donors fulfil their charitable goals both during and after their life time.
Community foundations are the fastest growing form of philanthropy worldwide. In Australia there are community foundations established in every state, in metropolitan, regional and rural communities.
Why Sydney Community Foundation?
Greater Sydney, with a population of nearly 5 million people, is the nation's foremost economic, cultural and social hub, yet it is also a region of great social divide, economic disadvantage and exclusion.
The Sydney Community Foundation is building a permanent endowment fund which distributes its earnings, as grants, to areas of need within Sydney. It also works with donors to support and engage with innovative community initiatives in their lifetime.
What we do:
- We connect donors with innovative community initiatives and engage them in the process
- We create a lasting legacy by pooling and prudently investing the gifts of many donors in permanent endowment funds
- The earnings are used to give grants to a wide range of community groups
- We work closely with our donors to ensure their gifts achieve their charitable goals and meet immediate community needs
- We use local knowledge to stimulate partnerships and nurture the relationships that hold our community together
- We provide leadership, where necessary, on issues of broad community concern
- We help promote the value of charitable giving